Saturday, September 19, 2009

Perfect Roast Potatoes

Who doesn't love a good roast spud? I know I sure do, but getting them just right can sometimes be a little bit tricky. Well not anymore my friends! After some experimentation I think I have finally nailed the perfect potato, and of course, I'm happy to share my secrets with you.

For delicious, crispy and fluffy potatoes every time, just follow these simple steps:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Peel and chop your potatoes into quarters, place in a pot of cold salted water, bring to the boil and cook until just tender.
  3. Strain off the water, then give the spuds a bit of a shake up in the pot (with the lid on) which roughs up the edges and helps them to crisp up, then transfer to a baking tray.
  4. Drizzle liberally with extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat, then sprinkle generously with sea salt. A few sprigs of rosemary at this stage will also boost the flavour.
  5. Pop the tray into the oven and roast - turning regularly - for around 40 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Sprinkle with a little extra sea salt to serve.
And there you have it. Pretty simple right? Of course there are variations you can try, but I find this classic method rewards me time and time again.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love your blog..well done and what great photography..though I haven't looked at all of your site, I did check out the roast potatoes entry...now, I think I have an even better recipe!!!!
To your cold pot of water, add a couple of lemon wedges..this keeps the internal whiteness of the cooked spud even whiter..a greater contrast in colours..and adds a hint of?? tartness against the roasted oil.
SusieMac